Friday, December 25, 2009

here's your answer

whoa, talk about sleeping and not waking up for a long ass time. Okay sorry, I slept at 7pm yesterday and never woke up until just 5 mins ago. wow. that's like more than 20 hours. holy shit. okay well I woke up for a couple of times but that's still crazy!

alright let me start off with this: Merry Christmas from me to all my christian friends. Though I dont celebrate it(or atleast not in s'pore), I hope you guys enjoy the holiday with your family and friends :D. I'm sure you guys will have lots of fun opening up presents so once again, Merry Christmas! In other news: I'm craving for some Japanese Sukiyaki :(.



This is gonna be a really long post. it's a little risky and I have to be cautious so I dont offend anyone. i'm gonna talk about racism and my incident on weds night.

Alright so aidil's gf planned to go clubbing on Wednesday since it was Ladies Night but something happened that made me really aware. Its about racism. Initial plan was to celebrate one last time before Mizi and Fairul have to serve the army. So Aidil's gf suggested that we should go clubbing at Zirca (Clarke Quay). Since it was our first time, most of us were pretty nervous and didn't know what to expect. Fast forward to the night, the hype was there, everyone was excited aaaaand then the worst thing happened just when we were about to enter. One of the bouncers looked at aidil's IC and was like 'Entry Refused'. I was really confused so I asked politely for them to explain and their explanation was because our IC's stated our race was Malay. First their explanation is that there is a quota for the amount of malay guys who are in the club. they asked us to try again in an hours time. Okay fair enough that was a little insulting but I swallowed it and just accepted it. BUT that's not the real reason.

So around an hour and a half later, I tried again and their reply was really racist in my opinion. I asked politely once again but this time it was a different person.

me: It's my first time here so I don't really know what to expect. there was another guy here who told me that I had to wait another hour or so before I could get in. he said something about a quota too.
bouncer: 'Quota? who told you that? we dont have a quota in this club.'
me: wait what? then why can't I get in while my chinese friends are already inside? They literally went in as a group. I dont understand, what is the real problem?
bouncer: well on your IC it says malay. *pause* Oh the management doesn't allow your kind into this club.


I was so stunned. I seriously was. Instantly in my mind it was like: 'did you really just say that?'. I could've argued how my mom is chinese but my dad is malay but I knew it wouldn't do anything so I just said 'OH OKAY. I understand.' and left with a smirk on my face. I have never experienced anything more insulting like this. when I was in Houston, the people there didn't like Mexicans or Asians because both groups are constantly occupying the place. Even so, they didn't even express it publicly like how it happened that night. I asked my brother and sister and I found out that its probably because the typical malay guy will get drunk and create chaos. Fair enough, that is probably undeniable but I mean not letting people in just because they're malay? That's a little stereotypical and ignorant if you ask me. What really made me angry was that the bouncer just casually said 'oh the management doesn't allow your kind to enter'.

I even called Niko and he was shocked to hear that. I mix around with people from different walks of life and I have friends from so many various races. Just look at my family bloodline! We were brought up to accept people from other race AND religion. I can choose to be with a girl who has a different race and religion for the rest of my life and my family wont stop me. Instead, we welcome people from all walks of life. and that is why it really was insulting and embarassing to me on that night. Do I even look like I am going to chaos in the club? geez.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next time i'm gonna go with Niko and his friends and i'll probably get in. because they're all ang mohs. i'm gonna side track for a while now but its worth it. I talked about lots of things with Niko last night and he told me that the people in singapore automatically think that white guys = alot of money, and hes white! He hates it even though he's financially better than the average singaporean and that's why he and his friends never date s'porean girls. well, he did.. once but the girl asked him for money before anything happened. I think its safe to say that we singaporeans are brought up to think that white people are the untouchables and we automatically awe in their presence. He said that girls here take advantage of lonely white guys for their cash and lure them with false affection. Be it old or young, they dont care as long as you have cash. Hell even Kalle agreed with me and he's half malay and half finnish. We hate those kind of girls and worse part of it is that there's lots of them in singapore. Which is why me and kalle are planning to get out of singapore as soon as we finish NS. The incident that night was like the final straw for me and it just really sealed the deal.

No comments: